From: John Wong <gokoproj...@gmail.com<mailto:gokoproj...@gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, September 18, 2015 at 8:02 PM
To: Cassandra Maillist
<user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: What is your backup strategy for Cassandra?

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Sanjay Baronia
<sanjay.baro...@triliodata.com<mailto:sanjay.baro...@triliodata.com>> wrote:

Will be at the Cassandra summit next week if any of you would like a demo.

Sanjay, is Trilio Data's work private? Unfortunately I will not attend the
Summit, but maybe Trilio can also talk about this in, say, a Cassandra Planet
blog post? I'd like to see a demo or get a little more technical. If open
source would be cool.

I didn't implement our solution, but the current solution is based on full
snapshot copies to a remote server for storage using rsync (only transfers what
is needed). On our remote server we have a complete backup of every hour, so if
you cd into the data directory you can get every node's exact moment-in-time
data like you are browsing on the actual nodes.

We are an AWS shop so we can further optimize our cost by using EBS snapshot so
the volume can reduce (currently we provisioned 4000GB which is too much).
Anyway, s3 we tried, and is an okay solution. The bad thing is performance plus
ability to quickly go back in time. With EBS I can create a dozen volumes from
the same snapshot, attach each to my each of my node, and cp -r files over.

John