Hi folks,

A question like this was recently asked, but I don't think anyone ever
supplied an unambiguous answer.  We have a set of clusters currently
using sequential repair, and we'd like to transition them to
incremental repair.  According to the documentation, this is a very
manual (and likely time-consuming) process:

http://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/2.1/cassandra/operations/opsRepairNodesMigration.html

Our understanding is that this process is necessary for tables that use
LCS, as unrepaired tables are compacted using STCS and (without the
process described in the doc) all tables start in the unrepaired
state.  The pain of this migration strategy is supposed to be offset by
the savings in undesired compaction activity.  The docs aren't
especially clear, but it sounds like this strategy is not needed for
tables that use STCS.

However, CASSANDRA-8004 (resolved against 2.1.2) appears intended to
have both the repaired and unrepaired sstable sets use the same
compaction strategy.  It seems like that obviates the rationale for a
migration procedure, which is supported by offhand comments on this
list, e.g.:

https://www.mail-archive.com/user%40cassandra.apache.org/msg40303.html
https://www.mail-archive.com/user%40cassandra.apache.org/msg44896.html

In other words, it *looks* like the docs are obsolete, and the
migration process for existing clusters only consists of flipping the
switch (i.e., adding "-inc" to invocations of "nodetool repair").

Our questions:

1) Is our understanding of the status quo following 2.1.2 correct?
Does migrating existing clusters to incremental repair only require
adding the "-inc" argument, or is a process still required?

2) If a process is still required, have there been any changes since
2.1.2?  Are the docs up-to-date?

3) If there is no process or if the process has changed, are there
plans on the DataStax side to update the documentation accordingly?

Thanks,
SK