I could see this being desirable if you are deploying the exact same
application as you deploy in other places with many nodes, and you know the
load will be low. It may be a rare situation but in such a case you save
big effort by not having to change your application logic.

Not that I necessarily recommend it but to answer John's question: my
understanding is that you want to keep it snappy and low-latency you should
watch out for GC pause and consider your GC tuning carefully, it being a
single node will cause the whole show to stop. Presumably your load won't
be very high.

Also if you are concerned with durability you may want to consider changing
commitlog_sync
<https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/1.2/cassandra/configuration/configCassandra_yaml_r.html?scroll=reference_ds_qfg_n1r_1k__commitlog_sync>
batch. I believe this is the only way to guarantee write durability with
one node. Again with the performance caveat; under high load it could cause
problems.

--
Dan Kinder
Principal Software Engineer