Jack

Yeah, I tracked it down to

https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/cassandra-2.2.4/src/java/org/apache/cassandra/cql3/QueryProcessor.java#L213

But it's actually to do with how the cell names are being constructed for
collections somehow. The offender was a set<rather-big-UDT>, but I solved
it by backtracking from that function and reading the JavaDocs on the
`CellName` and `Composite` interfaces involved, particularly

https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/cassandra-2.2.4/src%2Fjava%2Forg%2Fapache%2Fcassandra%2Fdb%2Fcomposites%2FCellName.java#L38

I didn't dig much further, since a simple A/B test of the mapped object
going into Cassandra once I removed the collection in question proved my
hypothesis.