Hello Melinda,

1. My recommendation is to script your database creation instead of copying
database files around. You could use code executing statements via a
driver, or simply write a CQL script and execute with CQLSH to create your
schema and possibly some minimal data set if needed. This is a good
practice regardless of what database you use - you'll have an easy way to
create a known environment for repeatable testing. If you have a large
amount of data to load into a cluster after creating the schema you can use
sstableloader, otherwise known as Cassandra bulk loader, to quickly stream
large amounts of data into an existing database. sstableloader bulk loads
sstables (the Cassandra data file format) into an existing data via network
connection, and is pretty flexible in that you can take files from a test
system and load into a production database that has completely different
replication settings.

2. Since you haven't said where your new content is coming from it is hard
to make a decent recommendation on how to do your daily process. If it's
something as simple as preparing new data and wanting it loaded the
sstableloader might work. If there's something more complicated happening,
you could be better off writing a tool/application to do this. Either way,
definitely automate as much as possible since it's going to be done
regularly!

Paul