From: Chris Stromberger <chris.stromber...@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, 27 April 2017 at 15:50
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org" <user@cassandra.apache.org>
Subject: Re: How can I efficiently export the content of my table to KAFKA

Maybe
https://www.confluent.io/blog/kafka-connect-cassandra-sink-the-perfect-match/

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 2:49 PM, Tobias Eriksson
<tobias.eriks...@qvantel.com<mailto:tobias.eriks...@qvantel.com>> wrote:
Hi
I would like to make a dump of the database, in JSON format, to KAFKA
The database contains lots of data, millions and in some cases billions of
“rows”
I will provide the customer with an export of the data, where they can read it
off of a KAFKA topic

My thinking was to have it scalable such that I will distribute the token range
of all available partition-keys to a number of (N) processes (JSON-Producers)
First I will have a process which will read through the available tokens and
then publish them on a KAFKA “Coordinator” Topic
And then I can create 1, 10, 20 or N processes that will act as Producers to
the real KAFKA topic, and pick available tokens/partition-keys off of the
“Coordinator” Topic
One by one until all the “rows” have been processed.
So the JOSN-Producer will take e.g. a range of 1000 “rows” and convert them
into my own JSON format and post to KAFKA
And then after that take another 1000 “rows” and then …. And then another 1000
“rows” and so on, until it is done.

I base my idea on how I believe Apache Spark Connector accomplishes data
locality, i.e. being aware of where tokens reside and figured that since that
is possible it should be possible to create a job-list in a KAFKA topic, and
have each Producer pick jobs from there, and read up data from Cassandra based
on the partition key (token) and then post the JSON on the export KAFKA topic.
https://dzone.com/articles/data-locality-w-cassandra-how

Would you consider this a good idea ?
Would there in fact be a better idea, what would that be then ?

-Tobias