That ticket was before I was really active contributing, but I tend to
agree with your assessment: clearly there's pain point there, and we can do
better than the status quo.

The problem (as Jonathan notes) is that its a complicated subsystem, and
the "obvious" fix probably isn't as obvious as it seems.

I'll happily click the re-open button (you could have, too), but I'm not
sure what the 'right' fix is. Feel free to move discussion to 5836.