My speculation is that IF (bigif) the sstable formats are compatible
between the versions, which probably isn't the case for major versions,
then you could drop back.

If the sstables changed format, then you'll probably need to figure out how
to rewrite the sstables in the older format and then sstableloader them in
the older-version cluster if need be. Alas, while there is an sstable
upgrader, there isn't a downgrader AFAIK.

And I don't have an intimate view of version-by-version sstable format
changes and compatibilities. You'd probably need to check the upgrade
instructions (which you presumably did if you're upgrading versions) to
tell.

Basically, version rollback is pretty unlikely to be done.

The OTHER option:

1) build a new cluster with the new version, no new data.

2) code your driver interfaces to interface with both clusters. Write to
both, but read preferentially from the new, then fall through to the old.
Yes, that gets hairy on multiple row queries. Port your data with sstable

When you've done a full load of all the data from old to new, and you're
satisfied with the new cluster stability, retire the old cluster.

For merging two multirow sets you'll probably need your multirow queries to
return the partition hash value (or extract the code that generates the
hash), and have two simulaneous java-driver ResultSets going, and merge
their results, providing the illusion of a single database query. You'll
need to pay attention to both the row key ordering and column key ordering
to ensure the combined results are properly ordered.

Writes will be slowed by the double-writes, reads you'll be bound by the
worse performing cluster.