Hello.

For questions to Datastax, I recommend you to ask them directly. I often
had a quick answer and they probably can answer this better than we do :).

Apache Cassandra (and probably DSE-Cassandra) can work with 8 CPU (and
less!). I would not go much lower though. I believe the memory amount and
good disk throughputs are more important. It also depends on the workload
type and intensity, encryption, compression etc.

8 CPUs is probably just fine if well tuned, and here in the mailing list,
we 'support' any fancy configuration settings, but with no guarantee on the
response time and without taking the responsibility for your cluster :).

It reminds me of my own start with Apache Cassandra. I started with
t1.micro back then on AWS, and people were still helping me here, of course
after a couple of jokes such as 'you should rather try to play a
PlayStation 4 game in your Gameboy', that's fair enough I guess :). Well it
was working in prod and I learned how to tune Apache Cassandra, I had no
other options to have this working.

Having more CPU probably improves resiliency to some problems and reduces
the importance of having a cluster perfectly tuned.

Benchmark your workload, test it. This would be the most accurate answer
here given the details we have.

C*heers,
Alain Rodriguez - @arodream - al...@thelastpickle.com
France / Spain