Also, DS charge by core ;)

Anecdotally, we run a large fleet of Apache C* nodes on AWS with a good
portion of supported instances that run with 16GB of RAM and 4 cores, which
is fine for those workloads.

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 11:08 AM sujeet jog <sujeet....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Alain
>
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 3:12 PM, Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodr...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> For questions to Datastax, I recommend you to ask them directly. I often
>> had a quick answer and they probably can answer this better than we do :).
>>
>> Apache Cassandra (and probably DSE-Cassandra) can work with 8 CPU (and
>> less!). I would not go much lower though. I believe the memory amount and
>> good disk throughputs are more important. It also depends on the
>> workload type and intensity, encryption, compression etc.
>>
>> 8 CPUs is probably just fine if well tuned, and here in the mailing list,
>> we 'support' any fancy configuration settings, but with no guarantee on the
>> response time and without taking the responsibility for your cluster :).
>>
>> It reminds me of my own start with Apache Cassandra. I started with
>> t1.micro back then on AWS, and people were still helping me here, of course
>> after a couple of jokes such as 'you should rather try to play a
>> PlayStation 4 game in your Gameboy', that's fair enough I guess :). Well it
>> was working in prod and I learned how to tune Apache Cassandra, I had no
>> other options to have this working.
>>
>> Having more CPU probably improves resiliency to some problems and reduces
>> the importance of having a cluster perfectly tuned.
>>
>> Benchmark your workload, test it. This would be the most accurate answer
>> here given the details we have.
>>
>> C*heers,
>> -----------------------
>> Alain Rodriguez - @arodream - al...@thelastpickle.com
>> France / Spain
>>
>> The Last Pickle - Apache Cassandra Consulting
>> http://www.thelastpickle.com

>>> the datastax site has a hardware recommendation of 16CPU / 32G RAM for
>>> DSE Enterprise,  Any idea what is the minimum hardware recommendation
>>> supported, can each node be 8CPU and the support covering it ?..
>>>

> --
Ben Bromhead
CTO | Instaclustr <https://www.instaclustr.com/>
+1 650 284 9692
Reliability at Scale
Cassandra, Spark, Elasticsearch on AWS, Azure, GCP and Softlayer