That approach will work, however that may take a long time.

The important things that are unique to your cluster will be your configuration
files & your data /log  directories.

The binaries can be placed on the same machines via tar installation. While
keeping the machines running on the old binaries, you can migrate the data /
log new directories. If you move your data, you can use links in linux to point
the old directories to the new locations.

Once this is done, you can configure your tar installation to point to your new
data directories, and turn off the old binaries and turn on the new binaries,
one node at a time.

--
Rahul Singh
rahul.si...@anant.us