Thanks, nice summary of the overall process.
Dinesh

    On Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 9:38:47 PM EST, Jonathan Koppenhofer
<j...@koppedomain.com> wrote:

 Unfortunately, we found this to be a little tricky. We did migrations from DSE
4.8 and 5.0 to OSS 3.0.x, so you may run into additional issues. I will also
say your best option may be to install a fresh cluster and stream the data.
This wasn't feasible for us at the size and scale in the time frames and
infrastructure restrictions we had. I will have to review my notes for more
detail, but off the top of my head, for an in place migration...
Pre-upgrade* Be sure you are not using any Enterprise features like Search or
Graph. Not only are there not equivalent features in open source, but theses
features require proprietary classes to be in the classpath, or Cassandra will
not even start up.* By default, I think DSE uses their own custom
authenticators, authorizors, and such. Make sure what you are doing has an open
source equivalent.* The DSE system keyapaces use custom replication strategies.
Convert these to NTS before upgrade.* Otherwise, follow the same processes you
would do before an upgrade (repair, snapshot, etc)
Upgrade* The easy part is just replacing the binaries as you would in normal
upgrade. Drain and stop the existing node first. You can also do this same
process in a rolling fashion to maintain availability. In our case, we were
doing an in-place upgrade and reusing the same IPs* DSE unfortunately creates a
custom column in a system table that requires you to remove one (or more)
system tables (peers?) to be able to start the node. You delete these system
tables by  removing the sstbles on disk while the node is down. This is a bit
of a headache if using vnodes. As we are using vnodes, it required us to
manually specify num tokens, and the specific tokens the node was responsible
for in Cassandra.yaml. You have to do this before you start the node. If not
using vnodes, this is simpler, but we used vnodes. Again, I'll double check my
notes. Once the node is up, you can revert to your normal vnodes/num tokens
settings.
Post upgrade:* Drop DSE system tables.
I'll revert with more detail if needed.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018, 5:46 PM Nandakishore Tokala <nandakishore.tok...@gmail.com