Hi Paul thanks for responding.

I created a ~/.cassandra directory and chmodded it to 777

in /var/log/cassandra/system.log the only non-INFO items are:
WARN  [main] 2019-04-03 11:47:54,172 StartupChecks.java:136 - jemalloc
shared library could not be preloaded to speed up memory allocations
WARN  [main] 2019-04-03 11:47:54,172 StartupChecks.java:169 - JMX is not
enabled to receive remote connections. Please see cassandra-env.sh for more
info.

Indeed, I meant nodetool, not nodetest.

Running nodetool status (or nodetool --help) results in the same stack
trace as before.