I'm afraid I get the same error when navigating to /usr/bin and running
./nodetool help

I'm definitely running Java 8 and Cassandra 3.11.4.

I'm wondering if I did something when installing Oracle Java 11 to run
Hadoop that is interfering, but that's all under another username. There is
nothing java-related in my .bashrc or .bash_profile. (Maybe there should
be?)