100% agree with Sean.  I would only use Cassandra backups in a case where
you need to restore from full cluster loss.  Example: An entire DC burns
down, tornado, flooding.

Your routine node replacement after a failure should be
replace_address_first_boot.

To ensure this goes smoothly, run regular repairs.  We (The Last Pickle)
maintain this to make it easy: http://cassandra-reaper.io/

Jon