Hi there,
I just did some testing with latest 3.x and 4.x version of the java driver.

While async performance seems to be fine, sync performance degraded
significantly with version 4.x.

Reading 10.000 small columns from a local cassandra instance took:
* around 5 seconds with the old driver
* around 18 seconds with the new driver

I tried playing around with the configuration but could not find any setting
that influences sync read performance.

I also experienced a comparable behaviour with write performance. A short
profile session showed that nearly all of the time was spent in
ForkJoinPool#managedBlock. I also noted that the Future implementation was
switched between the releases from Guava to CompletableFuture.

Is this behaviour somehow expected or did I miss anything?
Best,
Matthias