Matthias,

Thanks for sharing your findings and test code. We were able to track this
to a regression in the underlying Netty library and already have a similar
issue reported here:
https://datastax-oss.atlassian.net/browse/JAVA-2676

The regression seems to be with the upgrade to Netty version 4.1.45, which
affects driver versions 4.5.0, 4.5.1 and 4.6.0. You can work around this
issue by explicitly downgrading Netty to version 4.1.43. If you are using
Maven, you can do this by explicitly declaring the version of Netty in your
dependencies as follows:

        <dependency>
            <groupId>io.netty</groupId>
            <artifactId>netty-handler</artifactId>
            <version>4.1.43.Final</version>
        </dependency>

We will be addressing this issue and likely release a fixed version very
soon.

Many thanks again,
Erik