Cleanup is fast and cheap and basically a no-op if you haven’t changed the ring

After cassandra has transactional cluster metadata to make ring changes strongly consistent, cassandra should do this in every compaction. But until then it’s left for operators to run when they’re sure the state of the ring is correct .