David J. Biesack wrote:
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 17:01:02 +0200
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg_Schaible?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The java.util.concurrent backport
http://backport-jsr166.sourceforge.net/ runs on 1.3, for just this
kind of use.
I know this, but I doubt that we wanna start to depend Apache common components
on it ;-)

Agreed; I, like you, was merely suggesting to what Commons consumers might do
to deal with non-threadsafe codecs.

Might seem like a silly question, but has anyone found anything that looks like a threading issue in Codec? The code is pretty simple. I did a quick look through the code, and it seemed like everything was pretty thread safe. It looks like you should be O.K. as long as: 1) You don't change the parameters to a codec while it's running, e.g. changing charsets, etc. 2) You should not use a MessageDigest returned by DigestUtils by multiple threads. This should be clear given the API (it's a SUN api)

It also seems to me that the difference between code that you can trust as being thread safe, and code you cannot trust as being thread safe has a lot to do with whether it is tested for thread safety. Seems to me like another way of helping out here would be to build concurrency tests for whichever APIs you are interested using on multiple threads. Not sure where we would put them yet, but seems like the only way to assure thread-safety (especially if we could get someone to volunteer running them on a big beefy multi-proc machine :).
- Jörg