Hi, John. Sorry for the long delay.

  The original authors of JXPath are long gone, but from what I can
reconstruct the intent of nested JXPathContexts is only to unify treatment
of things like variables, namespaces, and at a guess, functions. AFAICT
your test case appears to have overcomplicated the issue, although notably
my alternative does resort to some string concatentation to accomplish the
same apparent purpose of the test case. Certainly the whole JXPath codebase
could benefit from some modernization. In any event, I have:

    @Test
    public void anotherTest() throws Exception {
        final InputStream is =

Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader().getResourceAsStream("jxpath/simple.pom.xml");

        final Document document =
DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance().newDocumentBuilder().parse(is);

        final JXPathContext ctx = JXPathContext.newContext(document);

        // not sure why this was done, but I have preserved it
        document.getDocumentElement().removeAttribute("xmlns");

        for (@SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
        Iterator<Pointer> ptrs =
ctx.iteratePointers("/project/dependencies/dependency"); ptrs.hasNext();) {
            final Pointer ptr = ptrs.next();
            dump((Node) ptr.getNode());
            System.out.printf("declared by project with groupId '%s'%n",
ctx.getValue(ptr.asPath() + "/ancestor::project/groupId"));
        }
    }

which yields output:

<dependency>
      <groupId>org.group</groupId>
      <artifactId>artifact-id</artifactId>
      <version>2.6</version>
    </dependency>

declared by project with groupId 'org.test'

Does this help?

Matt