From: Bernd Eckenfels <e...@zusammenkunft.net>
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2024 1:54 PM
To: user@commons.apache.org
Subject: Re: Using FileAlterationObserver with login

With Java (IO or NIO) file API (and libraries on top of it) you can (under
Windows) open UNC path or mapped drives, but you can't impersonate other
(network) tokens/logins.

What you could do is use a SMB/CIFS client like jCIFS(-ng) or SMBj (I think
there are also some minimal NFS clients) and implement the listing monitoring.
Commons-vfs provides some functions for that.

Alternative is using WebDAV, ftp/s or sftp as application protocols with their
associated libraries (also supported in commons-vfs).

I can't recommend VFS for all transactional/automated loads and using an
underlying lib might be easier and better in your case.

If none of that works for you, maybe a fuse solution is also acceptable or -
under Linux - mounting sub fikesystem while specifying the mount credentials.

Gruss
Bernd

Thomas, Patrick R wrote on 13. May 2024 19:38 (GMT +02:00):

> I have Java application that runs in WildFly 10 as a Windows server.
> It uses a service account to run. It monitors multiple folders for
> data files that come from other systems. The current folders reside on
> the application server. The folders have to be moved to NAS. The way
> the NAS is configured, it requires a username and password that is
> unrelated to the service account. I need to refactor my code to use
> Apache Commons to be able to monitor across the network. I have not
> been able to find a realistic solution to have my application login to
> a NAS location and monitor multiple folders. Every solution I have
> found is for reading a single file. Has anyone done this before?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Patrick R. Thomas

> The contents of this message, together with any attachments, are
> intended only for the use of the person(s) to which they are addressed
> and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Further,
> any medical information herein is confidential and protected by law.
> It is unlawful for unauthorized persons to use, review, copy,
> disclose, or disseminate confidential medical information. If you are
> not the intended recipient, immediately advise the sender and delete this
> message and any attachments.
> Any distribution, or copying of this message, or any attachment, is
> prohibited.

Gruß
Bernd
-