Brian's decription for reduce function is clearly, but i think you can
achieve your goal as below:

function(doc){
  emit(doc.group_key, doc)
}

function(keys,values,rereduce){
  //...
}

with the group=true option you can impl doc process by group_key in reduce
function,
as your example reduce will be invoke two times with values:
[firstdoc,seconddoc] which groupkey=1.... [thirddoc,forthdoc]  groupkey=2,
is that enough?

--
Yours sincerely

Jack Su