The easiest way to integrate it would be using node.js as the front end:
https://github.com/joyent/node/wiki/modules#smtp
and then storing the content in couchdb. Even adding a listener to _changes
to monitor for new messages to be send.

If you know erlang you can try integrating something like:
http://code.google.com/p/erlmail/
But of course it cant impact the speed of couchdb to be integrated.

Regards,
Olafur Arason