The show/list thread (posted by thomas.b...@ptb.de) recently sparked an
interesting debate.  Like Joan, I too feel that CouchDB tries to handle way
more than it should. (Caveat -- I actually take this stance to the extreme
believing that the couchapp behavior and utilities like futon/fauxton
shouldn't be included in the core installation.)

IMO the show/list behavior is an application concern, not a database
concern, and should be handled by the application server or client.  If you
think of CouchDB as your database and your application server the line
quickly gets blurry.

I'm curious, where does the dev team draw the line on couchdb's
responsibilities?  The fact that it's already an api+database+services
suggests there won't be any concrete boundaries.  All must be by design.

Some related articles:
http://insideintercom.io/product-strategy-means-saying-no/
http://zurb.com/article/744/steve-jobs-innovation-is-saying-no-to-1-0