> Thanks Adam,
>
> It seems like it is happening again, with more info this time.  It looks like
> I am hitting some sort of system limit, can anyone point out where to look
> next?

Just guessing here..
What could be is that you hit the max open file limit of your system.
With "ulimit -a" you can see the limits on your system.
Usually the max open file limit is somewhere around 1024.
I noticed that couchdb loves to have a lot of files open simultaneously.

Iin the same shell you start couchdb, right before you start couchdb,
you can do a "ulimit -a 4096" (or another large value), this should
give coudhb the ability to open more files.

Hope this helps.

Pieter van der Eems
Interactive Blueprints