I'll update the docs. However, for now we have:

---
When a database is created, deleted, or updated, a corresponding event will be
persisted to disk (Note: This was designed without the guarantee that a DB
event will be persisted or ever occur in the _db_updates feed. It probably
will, but it isn't guaranteed). Users can subscribe to a _changes-like feed of
these database events by querying the _db_updates endpoint.

When an admin user queries the /_db_updates endpoint, they will see the account
name associated with the DB update as well as update
---
And technically, the endpoint can work without the _global_changes database,
but be aware:

---
3: global_changes, update_db: (true/false) A flag setting whether to update the
global_changes database. If false, changes will be lost and there will be no
performance impact of global_changes on the cluster.
---

This is all from https://github.com/apache/couchdb-global-changes

I also learned something new today!

-Joan