I’ve recently pointed a few people on Reddit to this mailing list who were
asking questions there. A forum would probably be a good thing to have.

I’m not familiar with Discourse but it looks pretty simple to spin up a digital
ocean vps.
<https://marketplace.digitalocean.com/apps/discourse?utm_campaign=marketplace&utm_source=marketplace#api-creation>
  “Mail-in-a-box <https://mailinabox.email/>” makes it pretty easy to set up an
email server. DigitalOcean probably isn’t the best platform for that. I have
one I setup there but it took some time to get the larger mail providers to
unblock it. That’s probably the case no matter how you approach that though.
Using a 3rd party service like MailChimp might be easier but would probably
cost more.

Unfortunately I’m not in a position to donate any cash to this but I could
spend some time on getting Discourse up and running on a DO vps if that’s a
viable option.

Kindest Regards,

Bill Stephenson