Hi Bill,

On 2020-03-12 13:28, Bill Stephenson wrote:
I’ve recently pointed a few people on Reddit to this mailing list who were
asking questions there. A forum would probably be a good thing to have.

I’m not familiar with Discourse but it looks pretty simple to spin up a digital ocean vps.
<https://marketplace.digitalocean.com/apps/discourse?utm_campaign=marketplace&utm_source=marketplace#api-creation>
  “Mail-in-a-box <https://mailinabox.email/>” makes it pretty easy to set up an email
server. DigitalOcean probably isn’t the best platform for that. I have one I setup there but it
took some time to get the larger mail providers to unblock it. That’s probably the case no
matter how you approach that though. Using a 3rd party service like MailChimp might be easier
but would probably cost more.

Unfortunately I’m not in a position to donate any cash to this but I could
spend some time on getting Discourse up and running on a DO vps if that’s a
viable option.

Please don't take this step. Apache Infra needs to be aware of what's going on, and fully support whatever approach is taken. Our community cannot be seen to be "going around them" without some severe backlash.

As I mentioned in my other email, let's work together with them to make this happen.

-Joan

Kindest Regards,

Bill Stephenson