I tried out using the example you shared. Saw the same failures. However,
this worked for me:

> select `hello.yoko`, yousayyes from dfs.`/Users/agirish/abc.json`;
| hello.yoko  | yousayyes  |
| goodbye     | isayno     |
1 row selected (0.092 seconds)

Basically, instead of a select * I used select <columnName> and escaped the
column using back quotes. See if this can work for you. I'm not sure if
there is an alternate way - someone else can comment.

-Abhishek