I don't know what you mean by "using screen". You cannot use the wildcard
asterisk in the query afaik. You can query a directory of files, but I
believe the files need to meet the conditions mentioned in
http://drill.apache.org/docs/querying-directories/. I could not query a GZ
file unless I used a storage plugin configuration based on the dfs default
one that specified the GZ format for JSON as described in
http://drill.apache.org/docs/querying-plain-text-files/#querying-compressed-files.
Creating a storage plugin configuration (or modifying an existing default
configuration, such as dfs) is tricky. The configuration is wiped out when
you click UPDATE if it isn't valid JSON, so save your attempt somewhere so
you don't have to retype stuff . Valid configurations are not saved by
default in embedded mode. You have to modify the drill-override.conf (see
http://drill.apache.org/docs/storage-plugin-registration/#storage-plugin-configuration-persistance).
Also,please take a look at
http://drill.apache.org/docs/plugin-configuration-basics/. Sorry Drill info
is not organized better.