I think this may be a limitation of the Hive version that Drill embeds (and
is used when querying hive tables). Can you try just querying the parquet
files through the dfs plugin directly? Drill (not through Hive) should be
able to handle these datatypes without issue.

thanks,
Jacques

--
Jacques Nadeau