What ZK are you using , Apache?

Also the can the client system resolve the hostname of the VM with Drill on it?

In simplified terms the connection will work like this.
Client connects to ZK (port 2181 or 5181 pending which ZK is used), ZK returns
the hostname of the VM (not IP) and also which drillbit to connect to. Client
connects to drillbit on port 31010.

Make sure ZK ports and drill ports are open, and also hostname resolution is in
place (/etc/hosts for Linux/Mac, or /windows/system32/driver/etc/hosts for
windows typically).

Also with VMs you need to check if you use NAT or bridged adapter, I prefer
bridged adapter to get a separate IP from the host system.

--Andries