I'm building a layer "on top"[1] that hides the details of accessing
underlying "partitions" (stored as individual tables) and picks the right
tables based on the query (time partitioned, so prune tables which won't
fulfill the query).

More concretely, lets take a set of files, each one fulfilling the role of
"table":
/drill
   /table1.json
   /table2.json
or in drill parlance, *dfs.`/drill/table1.json`* and *dfs.`/drill/table2.json`.
T*he query that I want to make externally is:* SELECT * FROM EVENTS *and I
want to translate that internally to

*SELECT * FROM dfs.`/drill/table1.json` AS t1 JOIN
dfs.`/drill/table2.json`AS t2 ON t1.id <http://t1.id> = t2.id
<http://t2.id>.*Executing that expanded (second) query from the top-level
java.sql.Connection executes fine, hence my thoughts about the sub-table
not actually being found.

Here is what I am trying to do in my table handler - the 'EVENTS' table (
gist <https://gist.github.com/jyates/f11eb44a44af715b483859f497b9ea89>).

Does that help at all?

Thanks,
Jesse

[1] Where on top in this case includes components inside Drill.