Ended up playing around with it a bit more and came to realize that what I
really need is a UNION. The Join ended up working based on your last
suggestion (buggy impl on my side originally).

View expansion sounds like it would work, but the regeneration is less
appealing as I'd like to have low latency access to new tables as they are
available.

To make UNION work I'm working on injecting an "mapping" operator over the
table that takes the unknown fields and maps them into {VARCHAR -> ANY}
object (similar to how the HBase plugin does dynamic fields). Then Union is
just over, in this case, two fields: id, _map which I _think_ should work
alright.

My only concern is then supporting the new operation fully in districtuon
as the Physical/LogicalOperator support for non-internal types  -
specifically the #visit() functionality - seems to be a bit lacking...
unless I'm missing something?

Right now down to the point of having to implement the RecordBatch stuff.
I'll update when I make some notable headway.

Thanks Jinfeng!