This is so odd...

select a.sa, a.sp, a.da, a.dp, subject_name from (
select b.sa, b.sp, b.da, b.dp, CASE WHEN b.tls.SNI[0] is null then '' else
b.tls.SNI[0]  END as subject_name from `ciscojoy/2017-09-22/*.json` b  ) a
where subject_name <> ''
limit 10

This query works

select subject_name from (
select a.sa, a.sp, a.da, a.dp, subject_name from (
select b.sa, b.sp, b.da, b.dp, CASE WHEN b.tls.SNI[0] is null then '' else
b.tls.SNI[0]  END as subject_name from `ciscojoy/2017-09-22/*.json` b  ) a
where subject_name <> ''
) x
limit 10
Fails with the