Downloaded sources in the tarball on Windows OS.
Extracted sources.
Built sources "mvn clean install -DskipTests -Pmapr"
I had a Compilation Error due to the building sources:
[ERROR] COMPILATION ERROR :
[INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------
[ERROR]
D:\src\rc2\apache-drill-1.16.0-src\protocol\src\main\java\org\apache\drill\exec\proto\beans\RecordBatchDef.java:[53,17]
error: cannot find symbol
  symbol:   class SerializedField
  location: class RecordBatchDef

See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-7226 for details.
This issue was reproduced on tarball archives for Drill versions 1.16 and
1.15.
There are no errors on Windows when building from the GitHub release branch:
https://github.com/sohami/drill/commits/drill-1.16.0