you can only use the field bound immediately before the predicate. You could use any other previously bound variables.
In future versions, this will be relaxed (and in fact, predicates will be much more intuitive).

Also, I added BigDecimal support for a future release, so you can use literals for big decimals/integers without thinking about it. But I can't remember if I did it in trunk or 3.0.x latest ;) (definately in trunk though).

So yes, this is slightly painful, and we are doing lots to make this much smoother/more expressive.

Michael.