Hi,
sorry, my mail client sent before I was done.

I think the problem is that the Scala compiler derives a wrong type for
this statement:
val table = env.fromElements((123, "a"), (234, "b"), (345, "c"), (null,
"d")).toTable

Because of the null value it derives (Any, String) as the type if you do it
like this, I think it should work:
val table = env.fromElements[(Integer, String)]((123, "a"), (234, "b"),
(345, "c"), (null, "d")).toTable

I used Integer instead of Int because Scala will complain that null is not
a valid value for Int otherwise.

Cheers,
Aljoscha