I think that is a very good idea.

Originally, we wrapped the Hadoop FS classes for convenience (they were
changing, we wanted to keep the system independent of Hadoop), but these
are no longer relevant reasons, in my opinion.

Let's start with your proposal and see if we can actually get rid of the
wrapping in a way that is friendly to existing users.

Would you open an issue for this?

Greetings,
Stephan