Hi Timur,

the Flink optimizer runs on the client, so the exception is thrown from the
JVM running the ./bin/flink client.
Since the statistics sampling is an optional step, its surrounded by a try
/ catch block that just logs the error message.

More answers inline below

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 11:32 PM, Timur Fayruzov <timur.fairu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The exception does not show up in the console when I run the job, it only
> shows in the logs. I thought it means that it happens either on AM or TM (I
> assume what I see in stdout is client log). Is my thinking right?
>

> On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 12:29 PM, Ufuk Celebi <u...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hey Timur,
>>
>> Just had a chat with Robert about this. I agree that the error message
>> is confusing, but it is fine it this case. The file system classes are
>> not on the class path of the client process, which is submitting the
>> job.
>
> Do you mean that classes should be in the classpath of
> `org.apache.flink.client.CliFrontend` class that `bin/flink` executes? I
> tried to add EMRFS jars to this classpath but it did not help. BTW, it
> seems that bin/flink script assumes that HADOOP_CLASSPATH is set, which is
> not the case in my EMR setup. The HADOOP_CLASSPATH seem to be the only
> point that I control here to add to classpath, so I had to set it manually.

Yes, they have to be in the classpath of the CliFrontend.
The client should also work without the HADOOP_CLASSPATH being set. Its
optional for cases where you want to manually add jars to the classpath.
For example on Google Compute they set the HADOOP_CLASSPATH.

Please note that we are not transferring the contents of the
HADOOP_CLASSPATH to the other workers on the cluster. So you have to set
the HADOOP_CLASSPATH on all machines.
Another approach is just putting the required jar into the "lib/" folder of
your Flink installation (the folder is next to "bin/", "conf/", "logs/").

>> It fails to sample the input file sizes, but this is just an
>> optimization step and hence it does not fail the job and only logs the
>> error.
>>
> Is this optimization only for client side? In other words, does it affect
> Flink's ability to choose proper type of a join?

Your DataSet program is translated into a generic representation. Then,
this representation is passed into the optimizer, which decides on join /
sorting / data shipping strategies. The output of the optimizer is sent to
the JobManager for execution.
If the optimizer is not able to get good statistics about the input (like
in your case), it will default to robust execution strategies. I don't know
the input sizes of your job and the structure of your job, but chances are
high that the final plan is the same with and without the input statistics.
Only in cases where one join side is very small the input statistics might
be relevant.
Other optimizations, such as reusing existing data partitioning or ordering
work independent of the input sampling.

>> After the job is submitted everything should run as expected.
>>
>> You should be able to get rid of that exception by adding the missing
>> classes to the class path of the client process (started via
>> bin/flink), for example via the lib folder.
>>
> The above approach did not work, could you elaborate what you meant by
> 'lib folder'?

See above.