Thanks Chesnay.

Might I make a tentative case for Yammer? I'm not an expert, but I am
currently trying to pull together information on this and was reviewing
jmxtrans. This is all tentative, I've just dived in a few days ago. Please
find the information below.

Using Yammer it is possible to load an MBean that queries all metrics and
exports them en masse to a target destination, statsd or graphite for
example, but any destination will to. The gist is that the metrics do not
have to be queried one by one, and that the export can be arranged by

An example of this setup can be seen at:
https://github.com/airbnb/kafka-statsd-metrics2

Put the MBean jar in the classpath, add a config file, and presto. This
would work for Kafka, and Cassandra, and I would not need a separate
JMXtrans server.