Hi Simone,

in Flink 1.0.x, the Table API does not support reading external data, i.e.,
it is not possible to read a CSV file directly from the Table API.
Tables can only be created from DataSet or DataStream which means that the
data is already converted into "Flink types".

However, the Table API is currently under heavy development as part of the
the efforts to add SQL support.
This work is taking place on the master branch and I am currently working
on interfaces to scan external data sets or ingest external data streams.
The interface will be quite generic such that it should be possible to
define a table source that reads the first lines of a file to infer
attribute names and types.
You can have a look at the current state of the API design here [1].

Feedback is welcome and can be very easily included in this phase of the
development ;-)

Cheers, Fabian

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sITIShmJMGegzAjGqFuwiN_iw1urwykKsLiacokxSw0