We're also trying to work around the current limitations of Table API and
we're reading DataSets with on-purpose input formats that returns a POJO
Row containing the list of values (but we're reading all values as
String...).
Actually we would also need a way to abstract the composition of Flink
operators and UDFs to compose a transformation from a Graphical UI or from
a script..during the Stratosphere project there was Meteor and Supremo
allowing that [1] but then it was dismissed in favour of Pig integration
that I don't wheter it was ever completed..some days ago I discovered
Piglet project[2] that allows to use PIG with Spark and Flink but I don't
know how well it works (Flink integration is also very recent and not
documented anywhere).

Best,
Flavio

[1] http://stratosphere.eu/assets/papers/Sopremo_Meteor%20BigData.pdf