Couldn't he do the same thing in his RichFlatMap?

open the db connection in open(), close it in close(), do stuff within these calls.

On 07.07.2016 10:58, Kostas Kloudas wrote:
Hi Simon,

If your job reads or writes to a DB, I would suggest to use one of the already
existing Flink sources or sinks,
as this allows for efficient connection handling and managing.

If you want to write intermediate data to a DB from an operator, then I suppose
that you should implement
your own custom operator that opens a DB connection in the open() method and
closes it at close().
If you are planning to do so, I think that code of your custom operator would
be the same as the StreamFlatMap,
with the addition of the openDBConnection method in the open(), and you should
also override the close() method
of the AbstractUdfStreamOperator to 1) call super.close() and 2) close the db
connection.

Let me know if this works,
Kostas