Hi Seth,

FIRE and FIRE_AND_PURGE still have the same meaning.
So on eventTime, when your trigger says FIRE_AND_PURGE, your window will be
evaluated (4) and its state will be purged. Now, when the red circle arrives,
the state
will be empty, so if the onElement says FIRE, the result will be 1.

If you want to keep also the previous elements and have
4 on the onEventTime, and 5 onElement for the red circle, then you just
have to modify your trigger to return FIRE onEventTime, instead of
FIRE_AND_PURGE.

When the allowed lateness expires, your window will be garbage collected
(all its state will be purged). So your trigger does not need to worry about
that.

I hope this answers your question.

Cheers,
Kostas