You are correct that elements are waiting until a watermark with a higher
timestamp
than theirs (or the patterns timeout) arrives.

Now for the Watermark emitter, 1) how do you measure the 10sec in processing
time
and ii) by how much do you advance the watermark. If you advance it by a lot,
then
the elements that may come later, they may be considered late. \

For the first question I suppose that you set the watermark interval to 10 sec
and
if you see that there were no elements in between, you consider it inactivity
right?
How do you estimate that there were no elements? You have a flag in the emitter?