I see, what I consider highly likely here is that the lookup to HBase is the
bottleneck. If the lookup takes to long events “sit in a queue” between the map
and flatMap operations. If you replace the HBase lookup by some dummy code you
should see the latency go away.

The reason you don’t see latency when you don’t have a custom partitioner is
that here the map and flatMap are chained together: sending an event from one
operator to the next is basically just a function call and there is therefore
no queue that can be filled that makes events “wait”.

Best,
Aljoscha