Yes, in the end the requests to HBase are the bottle neck and the latency will
manifest in different places of the job depending on where there is a queue. If
there is a queue between map and flatMap elements will sit there and wait and
you’ll see latency there. If map and flatMap are chained you will see the
latency in the form of Kafka consumer lag (Kafka itself is the queue here).

Best,
Aljoscha