We use Akka's DeathWatch mechanism to detect dead components.

TaskManager failure shouldn’t prevent recovering from state (as long as there
are enough task slots).

I’m not sure if I understand what you mean by "source stream thread" crash. If
is was some error during performing a checkpoint so that it didn’t complete,
Flink will not be able to recover from such incomplete checkpoint.

Could you share us the logs with your issue?

Thanks, Piotrek