I am still not sure what do you mean by “thread crash without throw”.

If SourceFunction.run methods returns without an exception Flink assumes that
it has cleanly shutdown and that there were simply no more elements to
collect/create by this task.
If it continue working, without throwing an exception, but it is in some
corrupted state, then there is no way for Flink to know that anything has
broken.
If it crash with some segfault, whole TaskManager will crash and that should be
detected by Akka.

Piotrek